Lara Croft has new competition in the female lead of Horizon: Zero Dawn.
Sony unveiled the new action game, developed by Killzone studio Guerrilla Games, during its Electronic Entertainment Expo press conference tonight at the Los Angeles Sports Arena.
In gameplay footage taken directly from the PlayStation 4, Horizon’s unnamed lead — a women — hunts robotic, dinosaur-like beasts in a postapocalyptic setting that mixes futuristic enemies and weaponry with beautiful, untamed wilderness. The woman stalks her giant prey using a stealth mechanic similar to Assassin’s Creed. She fires explosive arrows from a high-tech bow, attacking the robot’s weak points, before pinning it down with ropes to land the killing shot.
The game is expected to arrive sometime in 2016.
GamesBeatGamesBeat's creed when covering the game industry is "where passion meets business." What does this mean? We want to tell you how the news matters to you -- not just as a decision-maker at a game studio, but also as a fan of games. Whether you read our articles, listen to our podcasts, or watch our videos, GamesBeat will help you learn about the industry and enjoy engaging with it. How will you do that? Membership includes access to:
- Newsletters, such as DeanBeat
- The wonderful, educational, and fun speakers at our events
- Networking opportunities
- Special members-only interviews, chats, and "open office" events with GamesBeat staff
- Chatting with community members, GamesBeat staff, and other guests in our Discord
- And maybe even a fun prize or two
- Introductions to like-minded parties