We now have a better idea than ever about how gaming will work on Windows 10.
Microsoft’s latest preview build for its upcoming operating-system upgrade has added a number of new Xbox features for PC gamers. Windows Insiders, who can test Windows 10 for free, will get a look at the revamped My Games section of the Xbox app as well as improved sharing options and account controls. These are basic features, but they further flesh out what we can expect from Windows 10. These also add to a list of Windows 10 Xbox app capabilities that include game streaming from an Xbox One.
While this preview is interesting because of Windows 10’s imminent release, it may also provide us with some idea of what the next Xbox One interface update will look like. We got a look at the first overhaul to the UI during the Electronic Entertainment Expo trade show earlier this month, and it definitely has a lot of the same DNA as what Microsoft is doing with gaming on Windows 10.
Here is a breakdown of what’s new in Xbox app:
- My Games: This section of the app lists anything you’ve installed from the Windows Store, but you can also add other games that you have on your PC.
- Game hubs: Microsoft has added the option to launch a game from its dedicated hub page in the Xbox app. Hubs will also give you a list of people to watch who are actively streaming the game.
- Play from console: The Xbox app hub pages will also enable you to launch an Xbox One game that you have on your console for streaming on your PC.
- Share with your friends: The Windows 10 Xbox app also now has Xbox One-like sharing capabilities. You can send achievements or Game DVR video clips to your activity feed so your friends can see what you’ve done.
- Xbox avatars: The Avatars character-creation app is now known as Xbox avatars.
- Xbox account: You can now use Windows 10 to sign into any Xbox account or to create an account if you do not already have one.
If you’re not seeing all of the above features, you’ll want to make sure you’re on Build 10158 of the Windows 10 preview. Additionally, once that is installed, you’ll want to make sure the Xbox app updates to its latest version, which is 6.6.27004.00000.