Rocket League just got a boost of extra content, including a new map to play on.
The hugely popular driving-and-soccer hybrid — which people have downloaded over 5 million times on PlayStation 4 and PC — received a big update late yesterday. Patch v1.04 adds a new free map to the rotation along with a spectator mode for private matches. If developer Psyonix has any future aspirations to enter the $621M esports market with Rocket League — which wouldn’t be surprising, given the game’s success — that spectator mode is essential.
Psyonix is promising that all future Rocket League maps — which might start getting crazy after this latest addition — will be free to download, and it’s planning to support the game for months, and maybe years, to come.
Psyonix also has some extra paid content that’s should arrive Thursday, and this patch includes that content (although you can’t unlock it yet). The Supersonic Fury pack includes two new cars, along with a bunch of decorative accessories like wheels, rocket boosts, and decals.
Anyone trying to buy the Supersonic Fury pack too early is encountering a blank screen problem. Psyonix says that closing and restarting the game should resolve that issue.
NOTICE: Attempting to buy DLC on PS4 before Aug. 13, causes blank screen error. Close and restart to fix. Won't be an issue after 13th.
— Rocket League (@RocketLeague) August 12, 2015
Here are the main headlines from version v1.04 of Rocket League:
- Added Supersonic Fury dlc pack support, including …
1. (DLC) Exclusive Dominus and Takumi Battle-Cars
2. (DLC) Six cecals for each new vehicle
3. (DLC) Five new paint types: Brushed Metal, Carbon Fiber, Metallic Pearl, Pearlescent, and Wood
4. (DLC) Two new wheels: Cristiano and Spinner
5. (DLC) Two new rocket boosts: Burnout and Nitrous
- Added Utopia Coliseum arena
- Added Spectate to Choose Team menu in private matches, allowing players the option to watch games rather than participate (3-vs.-3 match-type maximum)
- Added 70-plus new country flags and three Sorry items for our overloaded launch servers (Servergate Wheels, Disconnected Antenna, and White Flag)
- Added 3-vs.-3 Team Ranked as a replacement for 3-vs.-3 Solo
- Ranked matches will no longer start if the game is not full
- Added the ability to create or join private matches that can be named and/or password-protected
- Added Vote to Forfeit button to ranked online matches
- Up to four party-member’s Battle-Cars can now be displayed on the menu screens