A new GamesBeat event is around the corner! Learn more about what comes next.
BOSTON — The Pokémon Company announced that Pokken Tournament, the Bandai Namco-developed fighting game spinoff, would be coming to the Wii U in Spring 2016. Initially released in Japan as an arcade game last month, Pokémon Company president Tsunekazu Ishihara confirmed it would be coming to the Nintendo console next year.
As should be apparent from the name, Pokken Tournament takes its mechanical inspirations from Tekken series, but as Bandai Namco’s Katsuhiro Harada and Masaaki Hoshino explained, the game is designed with both new players and Pokemon fans in mind, which was immediately clear as the trailer closed by showing off Lucha Pikachu performing a massive body slam.
I’m playing the arcade version today, so I’ll have impressions soon.
GamesBeatGamesBeat's creed when covering the game industry is "where passion meets business." What does this mean? We want to tell you how the news matters to you -- not just as a decision-maker at a game studio, but also as a fan of games. Whether you read our articles, listen to our podcasts, or watch our videos, GamesBeat will help you learn about the industry and enjoy engaging with it. How will you do that? Membership includes access to:
- Newsletters, such as DeanBeat
- The wonderful, educational, and fun speakers at our events
- Networking opportunities
- Special members-only interviews, chats, and "open office" events with GamesBeat staff
- Chatting with community members, GamesBeat staff, and other guests in our Discord
- And maybe even a fun prize or two
- Introductions to like-minded parties