No wonder some of these Amiibos are so damned rare.
According to today’s release from The NPD Group market research firm, Nintendo reported that it’s sold 7 million of its Amiibo toys-to-life figures. The Japanese publisher also reported a 30 percent increase in sales for its 3DS handheld line for the eight months of the year and that it’s sold 600,000 copies of the surprise hit shooter Splatoon in the U.S. alone.
Nintendo is poised to build on its success with the 3DS with a slimmer New 3DS debuting later this month along with the fall’s traditional rush of games and sales for the holidays.
GamesBeatGamesBeat's creed when covering the game industry is "where passion meets business." What does this mean? We want to tell you how the news matters to you -- not just as a decision-maker at a game studio, but also as a fan of games. Whether you read our articles, listen to our podcasts, or watch our videos, GamesBeat will help you learn about the industry and enjoy engaging with it. How will you do that? Membership includes access to:
- Newsletters, such as DeanBeat
- The wonderful, educational, and fun speakers at our events
- Networking opportunities
- Special members-only interviews, chats, and "open office" events with GamesBeat staff
- Chatting with community members, GamesBeat staff, and other guests in our Discord
- And maybe even a fun prize or two
- Introductions to like-minded parties