We already took a look at LG’s revamped Watch Urbane with LTE earlier this year, in February and March (hands-on here). The device enjoys the distinction of being the world’s first Android Wear smartwatch with cellular connectivity — meaning it doesn’t have to be tethered to a smartphone to get online. That’s a big deal for evolving the device category to a point where smartwatches can truly be useful in their own right. The watch is also compatible with iOS, so iPhone owners take note.
LG says the new Watch Urbane “delivers the highest resolution display of any smartwatch currently on the market today.” Its 1.38-inch full circle P-OLED display packs 348 ppi, and has been designed with a classic look in mind. LG hopes that a big battery and power-saving mode will see it last right through the day, though we haven’t had a chance to test that yet.
“Three buttons adorn the right side of the LG Watch Urbane 2nd Edition to provide quick access to shortcut settings such as contacts, LG Health, and apps list,” the company said in a statement. “Ambient mode can now be enabled or disabled with a simple press of the crown button. In addition to the 16 included watch faces, fitness-related features such as heart rate tracking, workout tips, and stress level monitoring are also offered.”
Details on release date and pricing are still not available, but expect to see the smartwatch widely available across most markets when it does launch.
Here are the key specs:
- 1.2GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 400
- Android Wear (Cell-connected Version)
- 1.38-inch P-OLED display (480 x 480 / 348ppi)
- 44.5 x 14.2mm
- 4GB memory
- 570mAh battery
- Bluetooth 4.1 / Wi-Fi / LTE / 3G
- Accelerometer / Gyro / Compass / Barometer / PPG / GPS
- Space Black / Opal Blue / Luxe White / Signature Brown
- Dust and Water Resistance (IP67)
VentureBeatVentureBeat's mission is to be a digital town square for technical decision-makers to gain knowledge about transformative technology and transact. Our site delivers essential information on data technologies and strategies to guide you as you lead your organizations. We invite you to become a member of our community, to access:
- up-to-date information on the subjects of interest to you
- our newsletters
- gated thought-leader content and discounted access to our prized events, such as Transform 2021: Learn More
- networking features, and more