We might well be getting a sequel to the critically acclaimed action game The Last of Us, but Sony has stopped short of confirming it.
Shuhei Yoshida, the president of Sony’s Worldwide Studios, told Eurogamer that he’s keen to catch up with the cast of The Last of Us, released for PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3, in a future title. “Like many people, we wish to see what it’s going to be like, how the story’s going to develop, what life these characters have after what happened in The Last of Us,” he said.
But Yoshida wouldn’t confirm that developer Naughty Dog is actively working on a sequel despite voice actor Nolan North discussing it at the Metrocon anime convention earlier this year. Naughty Dog is currently busy making the action sequel Uncharted 4, and it’s also been polishing up episodes one through three for Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection, which releases October 7 on PlayStation 4 (with the demo already live on the PlayStation Store).
“We haven’t confirmed The Last of Us 2,” said Yoshida, “but ever since the launch of the first game, people like [creative director Neil Druckmann] are talking about some ideas for a potential sequel, some experiments that they want to do. It’s just talks around development. We have no confirmed information for the sequel.”