Join GamesBeat Summit 2021 this April 28-29. Register for a free or VIP pass today.
Now Konami’s just being mean.
Geoff Keighley revealed that Hideo Kojima was unable to come to The Game Awards in Los Angeles because Konami lawyers prevented him from travelling to the show. This is another chapter in the ongoing drama between the Metal Gear creator and Konami.
This all happened even while Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain won awards at the event, including one for best action-adventure game.
This drama began earlier in the year when Konami began to remove Hideo Kojima’s name and his studio logo from promotional materials for The Phantom Pain, all as the studio moves away from triple-A game development like Metal Gear and focuses on mobile and other entertainment ventures, like casinos and pachinko machines.
GamesBeatGamesBeat's creed when covering the game industry is "where passion meets business." What does this mean? We want to tell you how the news matters to you -- not just as a decision-maker at a game studio, but also as a fan of games. Whether you read our articles, listen to our podcasts, or watch our videos, GamesBeat will help you learn about the industry and enjoy engaging with it. How will you do that? Membership includes access to:
- Newsletters, such as DeanBeat
- The wonderful, educational, and fun speakers at our events
- Networking opportunities
- Special members-only interviews, chats, and "open office" events with GamesBeat staff
- Chatting with community members, GamesBeat staff, and other guests in our Discord
- And maybe even a fun prize or two
- Introductions to like-minded parties