A new GamesBeat event is around the corner! Learn more about what comes next.
It looks like the Psychonauts are on their way back.
The sequel to the beloved platformer by Tim Schafer and his studio, Double Fine, began a crowdfunding campaign on Fig last night after its reveal at The Game Awards. It has already raised $1 million. Still, it has a ways to go. It’s campaign goal is $3.3 million.
The Fig is a new crowdfunding site created by Schafer and heads from other studios known for success with sites like Kickstarter, including Obsidian and InXile. Unlike Kickstarter, Fig allows people to register as investors and potentially share in the revenue generated by a funded game.
The original Psychonauts came out back in 2005. It wasn’t an immediate success, but it found a new life later via digital distribution channels like Steam.
GamesBeatGamesBeat's creed when covering the game industry is "where passion meets business." What does this mean? We want to tell you how the news matters to you -- not just as a decision-maker at a game studio, but also as a fan of games. Whether you read our articles, listen to our podcasts, or watch our videos, GamesBeat will help you learn about the industry and enjoy engaging with it. How will you do that? Membership includes access to:
- Newsletters, such as DeanBeat
- The wonderful, educational, and fun speakers at our events
- Networking opportunities
- Special members-only interviews, chats, and "open office" events with GamesBeat staff
- Chatting with community members, GamesBeat staff, and other guests in our Discord
- And maybe even a fun prize or two
- Introductions to like-minded parties