Did you miss a session from GamesBeat Summit 2022? All sessions are available to stream now. Learn more.
Tokyo VR Startups has launched a incubation fund program with leading virtual reality figures as mentors.
The Tokyo-based incubator will invite Japan-based startups to develop prototypes of VR products and services in a six-month program from January through June. Participants will receive seed funding, work space, and back-office services.
The program will also provide mentors, staff assistance, and guidance from Japan’s Gumi mobile game publisher.
Hironao Kunimitsu, CEO of Gumi and Tokyo VR Startups, said in a statement, “With the rising demand for virtual reality technology across a wide variety of verticals and solutions, we believed it was the right time for us to support the advancement of this market by bringing together the financial and mentorship resources needed to accelerate open innovation in the Japanese technology industry. As such, we’ve brought together some of the leading minds in the industry to help Japanese VR upstarts expand globally, and we’re looking forward to the growth of this market in the coming years.”
The mentors include:
• Takahiko Akiyama, CEO at 4Dbrain
• Naoki Aoyagi, senior vice president at Gree
• Eiji Araki, vice president at Gree
• Tipatat Chennavasin, partner at The Venture Reality Fund
• Yoshiharu Gotanda, CEO and CTO at tri-Ace
• Kazuyuki Hashimoto, senior director of entertainment technology at Nvidia Japan
• Shigeo Maruyama, director at Two 4 Seven and former chairman at Sony Computer Entertainment
• Shun Sasaki, CEO at Historia
• Akihito Shoji, President and CEO at Delightworks
• Yoichi Wada, Former CEO at Square Enix Holdings
• Makoto Yamaguchi, senior executive director of content creation at Fuji Television Network
GamesBeat's creed when covering the game industry is "where passion meets business." What does this mean? We want to tell you how the news matters to you -- not just as a decision-maker at a game studio, but also as a fan of games. Whether you read our articles, listen to our podcasts, or watch our videos, GamesBeat will help you learn about the industry and enjoy engaging with it. Learn more about membership.