Minecraft on iOS and Android is still well behind its PC and console counterparts, but it is slowly catching up.
Developer Mojang updated the beta version of Minecraft: Pocket Edition to version 0.14.0 today. This patch introduces a number of widely requested features, such as cauldrons and slime blocks. With more than 30 million copies of Minecraft: Pocket Edition sold, this is one of the most successful premium-priced games ($7 in the App Store and on Google Play) ever released for mobile devices. And those fans will likely welcome this update that closes the gap between their preferred version and Minecraft proper.
Hey people, the beta is out!
— Tommaso Checchi (@_tomcc) January 25, 2016
Among the in-game changes this update brings (which we’ll list below), Mojang is considering using this as a jumping off point for eliminating support for iPad 1 and iPod Touch 4 because. Those devices do not support iOS 7, and almost no one uses them, according to the game’s developer.
We’ll see if that drastic update goes through when 0.14.0 leaves beta later this year.
As for the rest of the changes, here are the big additions in 0.14.0:
- New achievements
- Cauldrons: For brewing potions
- Droppers: Let you quickly drop items into a chest
- Hoppers: Also drop items into a chest
- Dispensers: A block that can dispense stored items on demand
- Slime blocks: Craftable blocks that you can bounce on
For more, you can check out the Minecraft: Pocket Edition wiki.
GamesBeatGamesBeat's creed when covering the game industry is "where passion meets business." What does this mean? We want to tell you how the news matters to you -- not just as a decision-maker at a game studio, but also as a fan of games. Whether you read our articles, listen to our podcasts, or watch our videos, GamesBeat will help you learn about the industry and enjoy engaging with it. How will you do that? Membership includes access to:
- Newsletters, such as DeanBeat
- The wonderful, educational, and fun speakers at our events
- Networking opportunities
- Special members-only interviews, chats, and "open office" events with GamesBeat staff
- Chatting with community members, GamesBeat staff, and other guests in our Discord
- And maybe even a fun prize or two
- Introductions to like-minded parties