All the sessions from Transform 2021 are available on-demand now. Watch now.
You can finally play the original Pokémon games on your 3DS, but Nintendo’s handheld has a few secret ways for you to maximize your nostalgia.
If you buy Pokémon Red, Blue, or Yellow from the 3DS eShop, you can play them in their original resolution with a virtual Game Boy border. With a few button presses, you can also play Red and Blue in their original pea-soup green color. These are tools built into the 3DS, and they work with every Game Boy game available for the Virtual Console.
Here’s how to activate these special modes:
Original resolution and Game Boy border:
Three top investment pros open up about what it takes to get your video game funded.
- Go to your 3DS’s main menu.
- Find Pokémon Red, Blue, or Yellow.
- Hold down Select or Start.
- Tap on the game or press A to boot it up.
This will cause the game to take up the same number of pixels that the original Game Boy system had. It will also put a Game Boy (or Game Boy Color in the case of Yellow) around the action.
— graphμre (づ・8・)づ (@graphure) February 27, 2016
Pea-soup green coloring:
- While playing Pokémon Red or Blue (this doesn’t work for Yellow)
- Hold down the L and R buttons at the same time.
- You’ll see a symbol pop up on the top screen prompting you to press Y.
- Tap Y.
This will switch the color of the game from black and white to the green tint of the original Game Boy. Again, this works on all 3DS Game Boy rereleases.
GamesBeatGamesBeat's creed when covering the game industry is "where passion meets business." What does this mean? We want to tell you how the news matters to you -- not just as a decision-maker at a game studio, but also as a fan of games. Whether you read our articles, listen to our podcasts, or watch our videos, GamesBeat will help you learn about the industry and enjoy engaging with it. How will you do that? Membership includes access to:
- Newsletters, such as DeanBeat
- The wonderful, educational, and fun speakers at our events
- Networking opportunities
- Special members-only interviews, chats, and "open office" events with GamesBeat staff
- Chatting with community members, GamesBeat staff, and other guests in our Discord
- And maybe even a fun prize or two
- Introductions to like-minded parties