Join gaming leaders online at GamesBeat Summit Next this upcoming November 9-10. Learn more about what comes next.
You can finally get exclusive PlayStation 4 games like the moody combat adventure Bloodborne on your PC … sorta.
Sony announced today that it is offering the option for you to play your PlayStation 4 games through your PC or Mac computer. This is part of the 3.50 update that is rolling out in beta tomorrow. It brings a number of other updates, and it launches for every PS4 owner later this year. In addition to PC remote play, which streams your PS4 content to a local computer (just like Xbox One and Windows 10), the system is getting a number of other additions that improve social engagement.
Console gaming is a business worth tens of billions of dollars, and Sony is on top of that with nearly 40 million PS4s sold. It is trying to keep that momentum with patches like today’s to keep fans happy and coming back to spend money.
Here’s Sony’s official breakdown of everything that is different in update 3.5:
Three top investment pros open up about what it takes to get your video game funded.
New Social Features
- Friend Online Notification – Want to know the moment your friends come online? With this update, you can, as we’ve added an option to be notified when members of your friends list sign on the network.
- Appear Offline – Sometimes you want to play a game or watch a movie without being bothered by friends. Now it’s easier to go incognito as we’ve added the option to appear offline. You can designate if you would like to appear offline when you log-in or at any time from your Profile or the Quick Menu.
- User Scheduled Event – Time for a play date! We’ve added the ability to schedule a future gameplay session with your friends on the system. When your event starts, users who registered for the event will automatically be added to a party so you can start playing right away.
- Play Together – This features allows all members of a Party to see what each person is playing so that you can easily join a friend’s game, or start a new game together.
Other New System Features
Remote Play (PC/Mac) – We’re bringing PS4 Remote Play to Windows PC and Mac. This feature won’t be available to test in the beta, but you can look forward to it soon.
Dailymotion – With this update, you’ll be able to live stream directly to Dailymotion on PS4. We’ll also support archiving live broadcasts, like we do for other streaming services
GamesBeatGamesBeat's creed when covering the game industry is "where passion meets business." What does this mean? We want to tell you how the news matters to you -- not just as a decision-maker at a game studio, but also as a fan of games. Whether you read our articles, listen to our podcasts, or watch our videos, GamesBeat will help you learn about the industry and enjoy engaging with it. How will you do that? Membership includes access to:
- Newsletters, such as DeanBeat
- The wonderful, educational, and fun speakers at our events
- Networking opportunities
- Special members-only interviews, chats, and "open office" events with GamesBeat staff
- Chatting with community members, GamesBeat staff, and other guests in our Discord
- And maybe even a fun prize or two
- Introductions to like-minded parties