Join GamesBeat Summit 2021 this April 28-29. Register for a free or VIP pass today.
The first Oculus Rift virtual reality headsets have shipped, according to Oculus VR chief executive Brendan Iribe.
The headsets should start arriving on launch day on March 28, Iribe said in a tweet.
The first Oculus Rift has shipped, deliveries begin Monday 3.28.2016. pic.twitter.com/C0MMKmezun
— Brendan Iribe (@brendaniribe) March 24, 2016
The Oculus VR Kickstarter campaign raised $10 million from backers in 2012. That means there should be quite a backlog for Oculus to fill before it starts getting to preorder customers. Palmer Luckey, founder of Oculus VR, also tweeted.
Rifts are finally shipping to both preorders and Kickstarter backers! Getting ready to flood our servers with Rifters.
— Palmer Luckey (@PalmerLuckey) March 24, 2016
GamesBeatGamesBeat's creed when covering the game industry is "where passion meets business." What does this mean? We want to tell you how the news matters to you -- not just as a decision-maker at a game studio, but also as a fan of games. Whether you read our articles, listen to our podcasts, or watch our videos, GamesBeat will help you learn about the industry and enjoy engaging with it. How will you do that? Membership includes access to:
- Newsletters, such as DeanBeat
- The wonderful, educational, and fun speakers at our events
- Networking opportunities
- Special members-only interviews, chats, and "open office" events with GamesBeat staff
- Chatting with community members, GamesBeat staff, and other guests in our Discord
- And maybe even a fun prize or two
- Introductions to like-minded parties