Google today announced that its browser has passed 1 billion monthly active users on mobile. In other words, Google has managed to add another 200 million Chrome for Android and iOS users in just five months. Not bad for a mobile app that debuted less than four years ago.
The timing is also a nice surprise for Google. This week, the company happened to release Chrome version 50. While there haven’t been 50 releases on mobile, since the Android and iOS apps only arrived in June 2012, all the Chrome apps have the same major version number to denote shared features and functionality across platforms.
We asked Google for a breakdown of the 1 billion number across Android and iOS, but once again we were told the company isn’t yet ready to share such figures. There are undoubtedly more Chrome for Android users, though it’s safe to say Chrome for iOS use is not insignificant.
To celebrate the 50th Chrome release, Google published an infographic because “we’re obsessed with stats, so we thought you might enjoy a whirlwind tour of Chrome, by the numbers.” Here are the key statistics the company wanted to underline:
- 771 billion pages loaded each month
- 500 billion characters not typed each month thanks to search autocomplete
- 2 million gigabytes less of data used each month thanks to Chrome’s data-saving features
- 3.6 billion webpages translated automatically each month
- 9.1 billion forms and passwords automatically filled each month
- 145 million times that users are protected from malicious pages each month thanks to Chrome’s smart warnings
- $2.5 million in rewards offered to the security research community to strengthen Chrome
At its Google I/O conference in May 2015, Google revealed that Chrome passed 1 billion users overall. That figure has undoubtedly grown since, but Google didn’t provide an update today, meaning it’s not known how many Chrome users only use the browser on their desktops.
The audio problem: Learn how new cloud-based API solutions are solving imperfect, frustrating audio in video conferences. Access here