Join gaming leaders, alongside GamesBeat and Facebook Gaming, for their 2nd Annual GamesBeat & Facebook Gaming Summit | GamesBeat: Into the Metaverse 2 this upcoming January 25-27, 2022. Learn more about the event.
Here’s an overview of the 10 biggest European tech news items for this week:
1) The European Union came out in support of Airbnb, Uber and other sharing economy companies, encouraging member states not to ban their services except as a last resort.
2) More details have emerged about the French government’s raid of Google’s offices in Paris: the country’s finance minister has ruled out the possibility of a Google tax deal and government sources say that the investigation will take months, possibly years.
The 2nd Annual GamesBeat and Facebook Gaming Summit and GamesBeat: Into the Metaverse 2
January 25 – 27, 2022
5) Qlik Technologies, the US-based but Swedish-founded analytics company, to be acquired by Thoma Bravo for $3 billion.
7) The German government says that it’s monitoring Chinese investment in the country and working on a Kuka counter-offer, which has received a $5 billion bid from Chinese home appliance maker Midea Group. China wants the proposed deal not to be politicised.
9) Minecraft has now sold over 100 million copies, at an average pace of 53,000 per day in 2016.
10) Israeli online assistance company WalkMe raised a $50 million Series E round in march to IPO.
Bonus link: European and Israeli tech funding in May 2016: on track with €1.6 billion raised across 255 rounds
Subscribe to the weekly Tech.eu Newsletter here.
This post first appeared on Tech.eu.
GamesBeatGamesBeat's creed when covering the game industry is "where passion meets business." What does this mean? We want to tell you how the news matters to you -- not just as a decision-maker at a game studio, but also as a fan of games. Whether you read our articles, listen to our podcasts, or watch our videos, GamesBeat will help you learn about the industry and enjoy engaging with it. How will you do that? Membership includes access to:
- Newsletters, such as DeanBeat
- The wonderful, educational, and fun speakers at our events
- Networking opportunities
- Special members-only interviews, chats, and "open office" events with GamesBeat staff
- Chatting with community members, GamesBeat staff, and other guests in our Discord
- And maybe even a fun prize or two
- Introductions to like-minded parties