Android Marshmallow is finally in the double digits. After taking four months to hit 1 percent adoption, the latest version of Android took another four months to hit 10 percent adoption, according to Google’s Platform Versions page.
Android Marshmallow doubled its adoption share from 2.3 percent to 4.6 percent, passing Ice Cream Sandwich and Gingerbread. While that’s certainly good news, the fact remains that Marshmallow has a long way to go to catch up. The latest version of Android typically takes more than a year to become the most used release, and so far it appears that Marshmallow’s story will be no different.
Here are the changes between May and June:
- Android 6.0 Marshmallow (October 2015): Up 2.6 points to 10.1 percent
- Android 5.0/5.1 Lollipop (November 2014, March 2015): Down 0.2 points to 35.4 percent
- Android 4.4 KitKat (October 2013): Down 0.9 points to 31.6 percent
- Android 4.1/4.2/4.3 Jelly Bean (July 2012, November 2012, and July 2013): Down 1.2 points to 18.9 percent
- Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich (December 2011): Down 0.1 points to 1.9 percent
- Android 2.3 Gingerbread (December 2010): Down 0.2 points to 2.0 percent
- Android 2.2 Froyo (May 2010): Flat at 0.1 percent
The Platform Versions tool uses data gathered from the Google Play Store app, which requires Android 2.2 and above. This means devices running older versions are not included, nor are devices that don’t have Google Play installed (which includes many Android phones and tablets in China, Amazon’s Fire line, and so on). Also, Android versions that have less than 0.1 percent adoption, such as Android 3.0 Honeycomb, are not listed.
For the sake of comparison, here’s the Android adoption chart for May:
The Android adoption order remains unchanged: Lollipop in first place, KitKat in second, Jelly Bean in third, Marshmallow in fourth, Gingerbread in fifth, ICS in sixth, and Froyo in last. Marshmallow will likely take third place this year, and maybe even second. But it definitely won’t take first place before Android N arrives.
VentureBeatVentureBeat's mission is to be a digital town square for technical decision-makers to gain knowledge about transformative technology and transact. Our site delivers essential information on data technologies and strategies to guide you as you lead your organizations. We invite you to become a member of our community, to access:
- up-to-date information on the subjects of interest to you
- our newsletters
- gated thought-leader content and discounted access to our prized events, such as Transform 2021: Learn More
- networking features, and more