Join gaming leaders online at GamesBeat Summit Next this upcoming November 9-10. Learn more about what comes next.
Electronic Arts does not have a booth on the show floor at next week’s Electronic Entertainment Expo, but it’s still coming to Los Angeles with a ton of games for fans to try out.
EA Play kicks off on Sunday as a satelite gathering outside of the E3 trade show that brings the industry together to look at upcoming products. EA has confirmed what you can expect from it next week. The Titanfall 2 and Battlefield 1 shooters and a lineup of EA Sports games will headline the event, but you should also expect some special surprises. EA Play is open to the public as one of gaming’s most successful companies aims to establish a more direct line of promotion and marketing with the audience that has helped turned this business into a $99.6 billion industry.
To give people an understanding of what to expect, EA released an announcement today detailing what will happen at Play.
EA Play’s confirmed games
The following games will have hands-on kiosks:
Three top investment pros open up about what it takes to get your video game funded.
- Battlefield 1
- Titanfall 2
- FIFA 17
- Madden NFL 17
- NHL 17
- Bejeweled Stars
- Madden NFL Mobile
You can also look forward to these other activities:
- Battlefield 1 multiplayer livestream: Two 32-person-teams comprised of YouTube personalities, Twitch streamers, and celebrities will compete on Sunday at 2 p.m. Pacific time.
- Madden Championship and other competitive livestreams: EA will broadcast players competing in its games live from EA Play.
- Spawn creator Todd McFarlane will autograph a limited-edition Titanfall 2 poster on Monday.
- Los Angeles Rams running back Todd Gurley will sign autographs on Sunday.
- Pin trading: EA will hand out six special-event pins that fans can try to collect.
- Battlefield 1 dog tags: EA will have a kiosk that creates custom WWI-era military dog tags.
Star Wars, Mass Effect, and virtual reality
When it comes to the playable games, EA is emphasizing its 2016 releases. But it is also promising “a few surprises from games beyond” the end of this calendar year. That could include more information on Star Wars games and the next Mass Effect, which is due out in early 2017 following the launch of its theme park attraction.
Mass Effect: Andromeda developer BioWare has said it will show off the game in some form as part of EA Play. With the game coming before next year’s E3, we can likely expect to EA to touch on it in some major way since this is one of its most important franchises.
As for Star Wars, EA is working on a number of intiatives. Most recently, the company’s new Motive Studios has grown to 65 people in Montreal as it oversees a couple of projects related to the galaxy far, far away. EA also confirmed that Star Wars: Battlefront 2 is coming in 2017, followed by the action game from Dead Space developer Visceral in 2018. On top of those games, Titanfall studio Respawn is working on its own Star Wars action game. EA will not let E3 go by without mentioning Star Wars, so expect to learn more about all of these games next week.
Finally, it’s possible EA may even hold some announcements if it plans to join Microsoft or Sony onstage for their media briefings. We know that EA has said it is working on a VR version of Star Wars: Battlefront for PlayStation 4, and maybe it’ll have that on stage as part of Sony’s PSVR roster.
GamesBeatGamesBeat's creed when covering the game industry is "where passion meets business." What does this mean? We want to tell you how the news matters to you -- not just as a decision-maker at a game studio, but also as a fan of games. Whether you read our articles, listen to our podcasts, or watch our videos, GamesBeat will help you learn about the industry and enjoy engaging with it. How will you do that? Membership includes access to:
- Newsletters, such as DeanBeat
- The wonderful, educational, and fun speakers at our events
- Networking opportunities
- Special members-only interviews, chats, and "open office" events with GamesBeat staff
- Chatting with community members, GamesBeat staff, and other guests in our Discord
- And maybe even a fun prize or two
- Introductions to like-minded parties