Sony showed off a new Resident Evil game this evening at its Electronic Entertainment Expo lead-in event in Los Angeles that looks like it’s taking the series back to its roots.
Resident Evil VII is coming January 24, and it is coming to PlayStation 4. Sony also showed off the game running in virtual reality, which the game will fully support. Additionally, if you’re a subscriber to Sony’s PlayStation Plus subscription service, which costs $50 per year, you can download a demo for the game tonight.
Sony’s push for VR is part of its effort to prepare an ecosystem for its PlayStation VR headset, which launches October 13. Market adviser Digi-Capital forecasts that VR and AR games will be a $10 billion segment by 2020.
You can watch the game in action in the trailer below:
GamesBeatGamesBeat's creed when covering the game industry is "where passion meets business." What does this mean? We want to tell you how the news matters to you -- not just as a decision-maker at a game studio, but also as a fan of games. Whether you read our articles, listen to our podcasts, or watch our videos, GamesBeat will help you learn about the industry and enjoy engaging with it. How will you do that? Membership includes access to:
- Newsletters, such as DeanBeat
- The wonderful, educational, and fun speakers at our events
- Networking opportunities
- Special members-only interviews, chats, and "open office" events with GamesBeat staff
- Chatting with community members, GamesBeat staff, and other guests in our Discord
- And maybe even a fun prize or two
- Introductions to like-minded parties