Nest has taken another step to showcase its ability to be a platform by opening up its store to third-party products built off of its “Works with Nest” program. While there are more than 100 supported products, the Alphabet-owned company currently has plans to only sell the LIFX Color 1000, Philips Hue Starter Kit, Rachio Smart Sprinkler Controller, SkyBell HD WiFi Video Doorbell, and Wemo Switch directly.
Launched in 2014, Works with Nest is the company’s developer program aimed at making homes more aware — how technology can be used to make all your appliances, lighting, televisions, alarms, and anything else you want connected “smarter.” The intent was to make Nest’s system, not a particular device like the thermostat or smoke detector, the controlling part and leverage its simplicity.
Here are descriptions of what you can find now in the Nest store:
- LIFX Color 1000 – 2 Pack Starter Kit — LIFX WiFi smart bulbs allow you to create and tailor your lighting from anywhere. When Nest Cam senses motion in one of your Nest Cam’s Activity Zones, your LIFX lights can light up to deter intruders. And when Nest Protect senses smoke or CO, your LIFX lights can blink, then switch to full brightness for emergency illumination.
- Philips Hue Starter Kit A19 — Use your smartphone or tablet to control your lights while at home or away. Philips Hue can turn off automatically when Nest is in Away mode, flash red when Nest Protect senses smoke and turn on when Nest Cam detects motion.
- Rachio Smart Sprinkler Controller — The Rachio Smart Sprinkler Controller and app makes running your sprinklers easy and saves you water. When you connect to Nest, you’ll see how much water you saved in your Nest Home Report. And, if your Nest Protect detects smoke, Rachio can cycle your sprinklers for protection.
- SkyBell HD WiFi Video Doorbell — See live video of your front door with the SkyBell HD WiFi Video Doorbell. SkyBell HD can automatically record video at your front door when Nest Cam detects motion or sound while you’re away. When Nest Protect detects smoke or CO, SkyBell HD can blink red so you know it might not be safe to go inside.
- Wemo Switch — The Wemo Switch brings control of your lighting and other small appliances right to your phone. Nest can tell Wemo when you’re home or away, so your fan can turn off to save energy when the house is empty. Or your lights can automatically turn on when you walk in the door.
In October, Nest revealed that more than 11,000 developers had tapped into its API to make intelligent products — a company spokesperson shared that it’s now at more than 18,000. “We believe that people don’t walk into a store to look for a connected home hub,” Greg Hu, the company’s platform senior manager, told VentureBeat then. “All of these things work on their own, and now they can work together. It all starts with great products.”
Before today, the Nest store was a place where you could purchase its smart thermometer, smoke and carbon monoxide detector, the Nest Protect, and Nest Cam, which was formerly known as Dropcam. Now it appears there’s enough traction on these new products that Nest felt it’s the right time to showcase them in its store, while also highlighting the success of its Works with Nest program.
We’re told that while there are initially five items listed, the list will grow over time. If you’re interested in one of the products not featured in the Nest store, the company links to ways for you to purchase it directly from the manufacturer.
Today’s news comes weeks after the company parted ways with its founder and chief executive Tony Fadell.
Updated at 2:21 p.m. on Wednesday: This post has been updated to state that now there are more than 18,000 developers building products around Nest’s platform.
VentureBeatVentureBeat's mission is to be a digital town square for technical decision-makers to gain knowledge about transformative technology and transact. Our site delivers essential information on data technologies and strategies to guide you as you lead your organizations. We invite you to become a member of our community, to access:
- up-to-date information on the subjects of interest to you
- our newsletters
- gated thought-leader content and discounted access to our prized events, such as Transform 2021: Learn More
- networking features, and more