The Transform Technology Summits start October 13th with Low-Code/No Code: Enabling Enterprise Agility. Register now!
Elon Musk’s plan to put humans on Mars in the next ten years looks a little more real today, with the release of a video teasing SpaceX’s “Interplanetary Transport System.”
While this is just a teaser clip — complete with dramatic, simulated visuals and space music — Musk is scheduled to reveal concrete information during a 30-minute press conference today at 11:30 a.m. PT (2:30 p.m. ET). The presentation will take place at the International Astronautical Federation in Guadalajara, Mexico.
You can watch Musk’s press conference live right here and via the embedded video below.
Update: The Takeaways
- #1: Elon Musk wants to “make humans a multiplanetary species” and build a city on Mars
- #2: This is where SpaceX’s Interplanetary Transport System comes in.
- #3: This is the ship SpaceX wants to build (the dot on the right is a person, for scale).
- #4: Musk estimates the price per trip will be be roughly the cost of buying a house in the U.S.
- #5: Musk hopes it will eventually take 30 days to get to Mars. There could be a pizzeria on the ship.
- #6: Musk on the trip to Mars: “It’ll be like, really fun to go.” Ideas include zero-gravity games, movies, and restaurants inside the ship.
- #7: Musk isn’t sure how SpaceX will fund the entire project. Also: Musk made a South Park joke during his presentation.
- #8: Here’s the timeline.
- #9: The first trips will be dangerous. Musk says the first travelers will have to ask themselves “are you ready to die?”
Update 11:38 a.m. PT: The event will start soon, says Musk.
Update 2:10 p.m. PT: Summary added
VentureBeatVentureBeat's mission is to be a digital town square for technical decision-makers to gain knowledge about transformative technology and transact. Our site delivers essential information on data technologies and strategies to guide you as you lead your organizations. We invite you to become a member of our community, to access:
- up-to-date information on the subjects of interest to you
- our newsletters
- gated thought-leader content and discounted access to our prized events, such as Transform 2021: Learn More
- networking features, and more