Friday Saturday! This week, Tech.eu tracked 5 technology M&A transactions, one IPO and 63 tech funding deals (totalling €125.5 million) in Europe, Turkey and Israel.
Here’s an overview of the 10 biggest European tech news items for this week:
1) Skyscanner has been acquired for £1.4 billion by Chinese online travel company Ctrip (mostly in cash). The Edinburgh-based flight meta search company will continue to operate independently.
2) Facebook will hire an extra 500 workers in the UK when it opens a new headquarters in London, increasing its British workforce by half.
3) Microsoft is set to gain EU approval for its $26 billion buy of professional social network LinkedIn with tweaks to concessions aimed at addressing competition concerns, sources told Reuters.
4) France-based Wynd has secured €30 million from Sodexo Ventures, Orange Digital Ventures, Bpifrance and others to take its point-of-sale solution to international markets.
5) PM Theresa May to announce £2 billion annual fund to boost UK tech and science.
6) Paris-based Agricool has raised $4.3 million to harvest fruits and vegetables in shipping containers.
7) German interactive music TV channel tape.tv has filed for insolvency.
8) Paris, France-based investment firm Idinvest Partners has held the initial closing of its second capital growth fund at €250 million.
9) Monsanto has agreed to acquire VitalFields, an Estonian farm management software company, for an undisclosed amount.
10) Latvia has passed a new ‘innovation and startup tax law’ to double venture capital in the country.
Bonus link: Europe’s software industry brings a total value-added GDP of €910 billion to the EU’s economy, whether direct, indirect, or induced, according to a report from BSA, The Software Alliance.
This post originally appeared on Tech.eu.
You can subscribe to Tech.eu’s newsletter here.
VentureBeatVentureBeat's mission is to be a digital town square for technical decision-makers to gain knowledge about transformative technology and transact. Our site delivers essential information on data technologies and strategies to guide you as you lead your organizations. We invite you to become a member of our community, to access:
- up-to-date information on the subjects of interest to you
- our newsletters
- gated thought-leader content and discounted access to our prized events, such as Transform
- networking features, and more