Join GamesBeat Summit 2021 this April 28-29. Register for a free or VIP pass today.
Mario is ready for a new adventure.
Nintendo announced Super Mario Odyssey for its upcoming Switch console. It will come out this holiday season, meaning it will miss the $300 system’s March 3 launch.
This game takes Mario to new locations outside of the Mushroom Kingdom, like a New York City-style metropolis and a Mexican village. Nintendo promised that the game will return to the more sandbox, open-level gameplay of Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine. The video also showed Bowser in a fancy wedding suit with a captured Princess Peach.
Mario’s iconic hat also becomes a character in the new adventure. The trailer also showed the Nintendo mascot throwing his cap as a weapon and even jumping on it as a platform.
GamesBeatGamesBeat's creed when covering the game industry is "where passion meets business." What does this mean? We want to tell you how the news matters to you -- not just as a decision-maker at a game studio, but also as a fan of games. Whether you read our articles, listen to our podcasts, or watch our videos, GamesBeat will help you learn about the industry and enjoy engaging with it. How will you do that? Membership includes access to:
- Newsletters, such as DeanBeat
- The wonderful, educational, and fun speakers at our events
- Networking opportunities
- Special members-only interviews, chats, and "open office" events with GamesBeat staff
- Chatting with community members, GamesBeat staff, and other guests in our Discord
- And maybe even a fun prize or two
- Introductions to like-minded parties