A new GamesBeat event is around the corner! Learn more about what comes next.
Destiny 2 is finally out, and that means … you have to keep waiting before you can play it. Bungie is performing server maintenance on the studio’s new sci-fi shooter, and that means a massive crowd of frustrated Guardians cannot get into the game on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One systems. On PS4, however, you can begin downloading a 4.8 GB update.
Updated on September 12 at 3:30 p.m. Pacific time: Desitny 2 is back online.
Destiny server maintenance continues. Expected completion is 2 PM PDT. Stay tuned for updates.
— Bungie Help (@BungieHelp) September 12, 2017
Bungie’s support account on social media has confirmed that it is working to fix some of its servers. At 11:10 a.m. Pacific time, the account said it would try to have the service back online at noon Pacific. But it has since revised that estimation to 2 p.m. Pacific before it completes repairs.
Three top investment pros open up about what it takes to get your video game funded.
These problems are causing some players to encounter “servers are temporarily at capacity” errors. This was an issue when the game launched, but it has since had few connectivity problems.
Destiny 2 is not some strange outlier. Most games of this size that depend on a constant online connection struggle with occasional connectivity problems, and you should expect these issues to clear up soon.
These server troubles started this morning after Bungie rolled out hotfix v184.108.40.206. Fans widely believe this addresses a bug in the Nightfall mission.
Here’s some more info direct from Bungie:
Below is information on Destiny Updates or Server Maintenance that players may find helpful:
- Destiny Companion: Sign-in functionality and other Destiny Companion services on the Mobile App, Bungie.net, and third-party sites may be restricted or unavailable during Destiny Server maintenance periods.
- BungieHelp Twitter: On days in which Destiny is receiving an Update or Server Maintenance, players can follow @BungieHelpon Twitter for updates on the process and timeline for the server maintenance or update deployment.
- Interrupting Downloads: Some consoles will attempt to verify all previously downloaded content before downloading a Destiny updates. If any issues are found, or the verification process is interrupted, all previous content will be deleted and downloaded once more. For more information, please see our Updating Destiny Guide.
- Connectivity Issues: Players encountering connectivity issues after maintenance has concluded, or that are unable to log in to Destiny when there is no planned maintenance impacting Destiny services, may need to attempt basic connectivity troubleshooting such as clearing their console cache, power cycling their network hardware, or reading through the Network Troubleshooting Guide.
- Maintenance Notification: Players signed in shortly before maintenance will receive notice via in-game messaging that a maintenance will be starting soon.
- Error Code Sheep: Players may encounter the SHEEP error code when they attempt to join a Fireteam in which any member has not updated to the latest version of Destiny. To resolve this issue, please have all players close Destiny and install the latest update.
- Manually Checking for Updates: For consoles that are taking an abnormally long time to begin the update process, players can attempt to manually start the update process by using the consoles “Check for Update” option. Additionally, players may want to clear the console cache if their console still does not recognize an update is available. For more information, please see our Updating Destiny Guide
- Destiny 1 Legacy Support: Destiny 1 will no longer receive planned game updates or content. Destiny 1 content through Destiny: Rise of Iron Update 220.127.116.11 will continue to be available on the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One Consoles. The PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 Legacy Consoles will continue to have Destiny: The Taken King content through Update 2.3.1 available. For more information, please see the Legacy Support Guide for Destiny 1.
- Update Notes: Full notes for each new update and for previous updates can be viewed on the Game Updates pages.
- Hard Drive Requirements: Players should ensure they have the proper amount of console storage space available to complete the full installation process. For more information, please see the Console Storage Space guide.
- Update Name: Some consoles may display a different name for the update than the one listed above.
This story was updated on 9/12 after originally detailing a minor outage at Destiny 2’s launch on September 5.
GamesBeatGamesBeat's creed when covering the game industry is "where passion meets business." What does this mean? We want to tell you how the news matters to you -- not just as a decision-maker at a game studio, but also as a fan of games. Whether you read our articles, listen to our podcasts, or watch our videos, GamesBeat will help you learn about the industry and enjoy engaging with it. How will you do that? Membership includes access to:
- Newsletters, such as DeanBeat
- The wonderful, educational, and fun speakers at our events
- Networking opportunities
- Special members-only interviews, chats, and "open office" events with GamesBeat staff
- Chatting with community members, GamesBeat staff, and other guests in our Discord
- And maybe even a fun prize or two
- Introductions to like-minded parties