A new GamesBeat event is around the corner! Learn more about what comes next.
Google Play announced today its list of the most popular mobile apps, games, and other content for 2017. Based on popularity alone, Nintendo’s Super Mario Run was the most downloaded new game of the year.
Google didn’t say how many downloads the game had on its Google Play store, but Nintendo has separately said that the game has had more than 200 million downloads across iOS and Android since its launch in December 2016.
Filling out the list: Bubble Witch 3 Saga was the No. 2 game, followed by Magic Tiles 3, CATS: Crash Arena Turbo Stars, and Ballz.
As far as movies go, Moana was the top movie of the year. Game of Thrones was the most popuolar TV show. Kendrick Lamar’s Humble was the top song, and Photo Editor — Beauty Camera & Photo Filters was the most downloaded new app.
Three top investment pros open up about what it takes to get your video game funded.
The lists below are ranked in order of popularity.
Most popular new apps of 2017
- Photo Editor – Beauty Camera & Photo Filters
- What The Forecast?!!
- Top Buzz Video: Viral Videos, Funny GIFs & TV shows
- Yarn – Chat Fiction
Most popular new games of 2017
- Super Mario Run
- Bubble Witch 3 Saga
- Magic Tiles 3
- CATS: Crash Arena Turbo Stars
Top five streamed songs of 2017
- HUMBLE. by Kendrick Lamar
- Shape of You by Ed Sheeran
- DNA. by Kendrick Lamar
- Mask Off by Future
- Body Like A Back Road by Sam Hunt
Top five movies of 2017
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
- Wonder Woman (2017)
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
- Doctor Strange
Top five TV shows of 2017
Top five books of 2017
- The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck by Mark Manson
- It by Stephen King
- The Battlemage by Taran Matharu
- Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
- Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
GamesBeatGamesBeat's creed when covering the game industry is "where passion meets business." What does this mean? We want to tell you how the news matters to you -- not just as a decision-maker at a game studio, but also as a fan of games. Whether you read our articles, listen to our podcasts, or watch our videos, GamesBeat will help you learn about the industry and enjoy engaging with it. How will you do that? Membership includes access to:
- Newsletters, such as DeanBeat
- The wonderful, educational, and fun speakers at our events
- Networking opportunities
- Special members-only interviews, chats, and "open office" events with GamesBeat staff
- Chatting with community members, GamesBeat staff, and other guests in our Discord
- And maybe even a fun prize or two
- Introductions to like-minded parties