Join gaming leaders online at GamesBeat Summit Next this upcoming November 9-10. Learn more about what comes next.
Fun fact: Four of our 10 most popular stories this year are about Electronic Arts’s Star Wars: Battlefront II situation (aka “CrateGate”) even though it just happened last month.
As part of our GamesBeat Rewind year-end event, we’re taking a look back at our top stories from this year. It’s a mix of guides, news about big franchises testing the massively multiplayer online waters, and peeks at in-game events such as hitting Prestige rank in Call of Duty: WWII. And, of course, lots of Battlefront II.
1. Square Enix taps Mobile Strike maker MZ to create Final Fantasy XV mobile MMO by Dean Takahashi
Big publishers continue to try to conquer the mobile market, and this time Square Enix is partnering with successful Mobile Strike and Game of War developers MZ to do so.
Three top investment pros open up about what it takes to get your video game funded.
2. Magic: The Gathering is becoming an MMO by Mike Minotti
Cryptic Studios and Perfect World previously teamed up with Wizards of the Coast to make Neverwinter, and now they’ve got their sights set on a Magic: The Gathering massively multiplayer online role-playing game.
Some hints and tips for surviving Hyrule.
4. The Nintendo Switch can handle Doom with all its blood and guts by Dean Takahashi
A behind-the-scenes look at the creative process of making a video game based on one of the biggest IPs.
EA tries to explain its loot boxes and its progression system, and people aren’t very happy about it.
The cosmetic loot boxes that could’ve been but for some reason never were.
After intense fan outrage, EA re-examines its loot-box system.
9. Call of Duty: WWII — Here’s what happens when you hit Prestige rank by Dean Takahashi
An inspirational article about what happens when you hit the top level in Call of Duty: WWII multiplayer.
10. SuperData: Hearthstone trumps all comers in card market that will hit $1.4 billion in 2017 by Mike Minotti
Three years later, Blizzard’s Hearthstone is still the king of the digital card game category.
GamesBeatGamesBeat's creed when covering the game industry is "where passion meets business." What does this mean? We want to tell you how the news matters to you -- not just as a decision-maker at a game studio, but also as a fan of games. Whether you read our articles, listen to our podcasts, or watch our videos, GamesBeat will help you learn about the industry and enjoy engaging with it. How will you do that? Membership includes access to:
- Newsletters, such as DeanBeat
- The wonderful, educational, and fun speakers at our events
- Networking opportunities
- Special members-only interviews, chats, and "open office" events with GamesBeat staff
- Chatting with community members, GamesBeat staff, and other guests in our Discord
- And maybe even a fun prize or two
- Introductions to like-minded parties