Did you miss GamesBeat Summit 2021? Watch on-demand here!
Fortnite: Battle Royale is a free-to-play game available on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC. While the original Fortnite focused on cooperative action, this standalone mode takes inspiration from PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds. It drops 100 players in a large, open map and gives them the goal of being the last person or team standing. According to Epic, the game has attracted more than 40 million players.
The updated map is adding new areas, including the city area Tilted Towers and the Shift Shafts underground mines. New content like this keeps players engaged and stops the game from feeling stale.
The patch will also update existing areas, aiming to bring more variety and distinction to the map’s landmarks.
GamesBeatGamesBeat's creed when covering the game industry is "where passion meets business." What does this mean? We want to tell you how the news matters to you -- not just as a decision-maker at a game studio, but also as a fan of games. Whether you read our articles, listen to our podcasts, or watch our videos, GamesBeat will help you learn about the industry and enjoy engaging with it. How will you do that? Membership includes access to:
- Newsletters, such as DeanBeat
- The wonderful, educational, and fun speakers at our events
- Networking opportunities
- Special members-only interviews, chats, and "open office" events with GamesBeat staff
- Chatting with community members, GamesBeat staff, and other guests in our Discord
- And maybe even a fun prize or two
- Introductions to like-minded parties