A new GamesBeat event is around the corner! Learn more about what comes next.
Gamers can’t get enough of blocky games, like Minecraft, Roblox, and now Trove. Trion Worlds announced that its free-to-play voxel online game Trove has surpassed 15 million players worldwide.
The massively multiplayer online game had a profitable 2017, launched in China via publisher 360 Games last year, and will soon be available in Japan on the PlayStation 4.
“Trove has been a labor of love for us here at Trion,” said Trion Worlds CEO Scott Hartsman, in a statement. “The team has been pouring their hearts and souls into the game since 2013, and we couldn’t be more proud of them in hitting this milestone. We have a lot of awesome in store for Trove, and we want to thank the community for taking the ride with us. We owe it all to you.”
Here’s some stats that Trion pulled out to commemorate the success:
Three top investment pros open up about what it takes to get your video game funded.
- 6,584,382,807 blocks placed (almost the amount of kilometers from the Earth to Pluto)
- 10,234,600,287 blocks destroyed (players destroyed even more blocks than they built)
- 237,203,112 quests completed
- 4,520,061 dragon mounts unlocked
- 352,837,481 clubs entered
- 119,881,221 piñata parties thrown
- 161,977,123.98 lifetime hours across all players
- 18,490.54 lifetime years across all players
- 184.91 lifetime centuries across all players.
I interviewed Hartsman back in 2015 at the company’s Redwood City, California headquarters, just before the launch of Trove.
“This is what I love about being an independent company. Trove started out as two guys who had been working on Rift,” Hartsman said in 2015. “They had been working on Rift for a lot of years, and they asked if they could go start a passion project. It took them about six weeks, and they put this prototype together. We said, ‘There’s something there.’ The idea of putting a real RPG, with RPG mechanics, into a voxel engine and seeing what results. As they came up with user-generated content to do items and mounts and all kinds of things.”
Trove is now available on PC, PS4, and Xbox One. It launched the Trove Adventures expansion in November, and it is available in eight languages. Trion promises more big updates for Trove in 2018.
GamesBeatGamesBeat's creed when covering the game industry is "where passion meets business." What does this mean? We want to tell you how the news matters to you -- not just as a decision-maker at a game studio, but also as a fan of games. Whether you read our articles, listen to our podcasts, or watch our videos, GamesBeat will help you learn about the industry and enjoy engaging with it. How will you do that? Membership includes access to:
- Newsletters, such as DeanBeat
- The wonderful, educational, and fun speakers at our events
- Networking opportunities
- Special members-only interviews, chats, and "open office" events with GamesBeat staff
- Chatting with community members, GamesBeat staff, and other guests in our Discord
- And maybe even a fun prize or two
- Introductions to like-minded parties