But this does not mean 1 million games sold. This counts those who can access the game through Microsoft’s Xbox Game Pass. The $10 a month subscription gives people access to a library of select games, including State of Decay 2.
Those who bought the $50 Ultimate Edition of State of Decay 2 have had access to the game since May 18. The $30 Standard Edition released on May 22.
Even if the Xbox Game Pass inflates that number, that is still revenue for Microsoft. And the Xbox Games Pass is a feature that its competitors — Sony and Nintendo — don’t have counterparts for. Exclusives like State of Decay 2 can help drive subscription numbers.
GamesBeatGamesBeat's creed when covering the game industry is "where passion meets business." What does this mean? We want to tell you how the news matters to you -- not just as a decision-maker at a game studio, but also as a fan of games. Whether you read our articles, listen to our podcasts, or watch our videos, GamesBeat will help you learn about the industry and enjoy engaging with it. How will you do that? Membership includes access to:
- Newsletters, such as DeanBeat
- The wonderful, educational, and fun speakers at our events
- Networking opportunities
- Special members-only interviews, chats, and "open office" events with GamesBeat staff
- Chatting with community members, GamesBeat staff, and other guests in our Discord
- And maybe even a fun prize or two
- Introductions to like-minded parties