Happy 5th birthday, Neverwinter. OK, I realize the City of Neverwinter, one of the jewels of the Sword Coast in the Dungeons & Dragons‘ Forgotten Realms setting, is older than 5. Much older. But I’m talking about the online game here — and its Protectors Jubilee celebration.
Now live, Protectors Jubilee brings more than just a festival to the city’s streets. Adventurers may reap a raft of awards, like special coins that deliver loot, and participate in a number of events. The free-to-play Neverwinter has more than 15 million registered players, and it’s the biggest D&D video game in a market in which the tabletop game is thriving, with a New York Times best-seller in Mordenkainen’s Tome of Foes and Xanathar’s Guide to Everything, soaring ratings of live D&D streaming on Twitch, and stellar board games like the D&D Adventure System, a line of co-op adventures.
Here’s a small breakdown of the rewards. For more details, check out this blog post from Neverwinter dev house Cryptic Studios.
- Anniversary Coins are a reward for completing the “It’s a Celebration” quest, which you can do up to five times during the event. Each coin has better rewards — the second is better than the first, the third better than the second, and so on. You can do this once a day.
- “A Heartfelt Thanks” reward will come after the Jubilee, and its gift crate gets better each time you finish the Celebration quest.
- A free Rank 14 enchantment.
- A new throne (no, it’s not a toilet).
- The return of three older events: Elminster’s Messages, Protector’s Speech Skirmish, and Escort Missions.
Adventurers may also earn other rewards as well. The event ends June 23.
GamesBeatGamesBeat's creed when covering the game industry is "where passion meets business." What does this mean? We want to tell you how the news matters to you -- not just as a decision-maker at a game studio, but also as a fan of games. Whether you read our articles, listen to our podcasts, or watch our videos, GamesBeat will help you learn about the industry and enjoy engaging with it. How will you do that? Membership includes access to:
- Newsletters, such as DeanBeat
- The wonderful, educational, and fun speakers at our events
- Networking opportunities
- Special members-only interviews, chats, and "open office" events with GamesBeat staff
- Chatting with community members, GamesBeat staff, and other guests in our Discord
- And maybe even a fun prize or two
- Introductions to like-minded parties