Join GamesBeat Summit 2021 this April 28-29. Register for a free or VIP pass today.
Pokémon Quest is a free-to-play game that has players raising and battling blocky versions of the iconic pocket monsters. It is still coming out for iOS and Android in the future, so its audience will still grow. That means more people that could possibly pay real money for its microtransactions.
Pokémon will continue to have a large presence on the Switch this year. Pokémon Let’s Go Pikachu and Let’s Go Eevee come out on November 16. These games are simplified updates of the original Red and Blue versions of Pokémon. They will also be compatible with the mobile hit Pokémon Go.
We criticized Pokémon Quest for its simple gameplay and pay-to-play mechanics. Still, it is Pokémon, and it is free. It’s not too surprising that it has found an audience.
GamesBeatGamesBeat's creed when covering the game industry is "where passion meets business." What does this mean? We want to tell you how the news matters to you -- not just as a decision-maker at a game studio, but also as a fan of games. Whether you read our articles, listen to our podcasts, or watch our videos, GamesBeat will help you learn about the industry and enjoy engaging with it. How will you do that? Membership includes access to:
- Newsletters, such as DeanBeat
- The wonderful, educational, and fun speakers at our events
- Networking opportunities
- Special members-only interviews, chats, and "open office" events with GamesBeat staff
- Chatting with community members, GamesBeat staff, and other guests in our Discord
- And maybe even a fun prize or two
- Introductions to like-minded parties