The speedrunning marathon Summer Games Done Quick 2018 just wrapped up a week of great (and fast) gaming that streamed live on Twitch, and the event managed to raise $2,122,529 for Doctors Without Borders. That is a new record for Summer Games Done Quick.
The first SGDQ took place in 2011 and raised $21,397. The event has grown a lot since then. Last year’s marathon has earned $1,792,632.
This is not the highest total for any Games Done Quick, however. Awesome Games Done Quick takes place every January. This year’s AGDQ raised $2,294,612 for the Prevent Cancer Foundation.
But this is still an important milestone for Games Done Quick. This is the first time the summer marathon has raised over $2 million.
After the closing ceremony, Games Done Quick announced that AGDQ 2019 will take place in Rockville, Maryland.
GamesBeatGamesBeat's creed when covering the game industry is "where passion meets business." What does this mean? We want to tell you how the news matters to you -- not just as a decision-maker at a game studio, but also as a fan of games. Whether you read our articles, listen to our podcasts, or watch our videos, GamesBeat will help you learn about the industry and enjoy engaging with it. How will you do that? Membership includes access to:
- Newsletters, such as DeanBeat
- The wonderful, educational, and fun speakers at our events
- Networking opportunities
- Special members-only interviews, chats, and "open office" events with GamesBeat staff
- Chatting with community members, GamesBeat staff, and other guests in our Discord
- And maybe even a fun prize or two
- Introductions to like-minded parties