The team affected is part of Iron Tiger Studios, which began work a few years ago on an unannounced project. A spokesman for NCSoft confirmed that the company has done some layoffs, but did not say how many.
The San Mateo office will remain open and continue to publish mobile games such as Aion: Legions of War. The spokesman said, “I can confirm that NCSoft is reshaping Iron Tiger Studios and is in the process of transitioning development to a third-party for a mobile title.”
That game is not being canceled, but neither the project nor the external developer are being identified at this time.
GamesBeatGamesBeat's creed when covering the game industry is "where passion meets business." What does this mean? We want to tell you how the news matters to you -- not just as a decision-maker at a game studio, but also as a fan of games. Whether you read our articles, listen to our podcasts, or watch our videos, GamesBeat will help you learn about the industry and enjoy engaging with it. How will you do that? Membership includes access to:
- Newsletters, such as DeanBeat
- The wonderful, educational, and fun speakers at our events
- Networking opportunities
- Special members-only interviews, chats, and "open office" events with GamesBeat staff
- Chatting with community members, GamesBeat staff, and other guests in our Discord
- And maybe even a fun prize or two
- Introductions to like-minded parties