Elevate your enterprise data technology and strategy at Transform 2021.
That is a huge 84 percent increase over January 2018, when Pokémon Go made $37 million. The game’s total revenue now stands at $2.3 billion. Trainer battling went live in December. It has been an anticipated feature for many fans, and its inclusion could be responsible in the massive January jump.
Pokémon Go released in June 2016 and became a sensation. Its popularity fell off a bit after the first summer, but developer Niantic has been able to build a massive player base with constant updates, including the addition of more Pokémon and new features (such as trading and trainer battling).
Japan is the game’s top territory, with its players making up 35 percent of that revenue. The U.S. is in second with 29 percent.
GamesBeatGamesBeat's creed when covering the game industry is "where passion meets business." What does this mean? We want to tell you how the news matters to you -- not just as a decision-maker at a game studio, but also as a fan of games. Whether you read our articles, listen to our podcasts, or watch our videos, GamesBeat will help you learn about the industry and enjoy engaging with it. How will you do that? Membership includes access to:
- Newsletters, such as DeanBeat
- The wonderful, educational, and fun speakers at our events
- Networking opportunities
- Special members-only interviews, chats, and "open office" events with GamesBeat staff
- Chatting with community members, GamesBeat staff, and other guests in our Discord
- And maybe even a fun prize or two
- Introductions to like-minded parties