The Messenger is retro-style side-scroller inspired by classic Nintendo Entertainment System games like Ninja Gaiden. The indie hit came out for Switch and PC on August 30, 2018. Our review praised the game for its inventive abilities and fun gameplay twists. It was also one of my favorite games of 2018.
Switch has been a hotbed for indie titles, but PlayStation 4 has almost sold 100 million machines. Bringing The Messenger to that platform can open it up to a new audience.
The Messenger is also getting a free expansion this summer, Picnic Panic.
GamesBeatGamesBeat's creed when covering the game industry is "where passion meets business." What does this mean? We want to tell you how the news matters to you -- not just as a decision-maker at a game studio, but also as a fan of games. Whether you read our articles, listen to our podcasts, or watch our videos, GamesBeat will help you learn about the industry and enjoy engaging with it. How will you do that? Membership includes access to:
- Newsletters, such as DeanBeat
- The wonderful, educational, and fun speakers at our events
- Networking opportunities
- Special members-only interviews, chats, and "open office" events with GamesBeat staff
- Chatting with community members, GamesBeat staff, and other guests in our Discord
- And maybe even a fun prize or two
- Introductions to like-minded parties