Interested in learning what's next for the gaming industry? Join gaming executives to discuss emerging parts of the industry this October at GamesBeat Summit Next. Learn more.
Kratos slew the entire Olympic pantheon, and more recently, fought to protect his son from the harsh world of Norse mythology. That latest adventure has earned God of War the biggest prize of the Game Developers Conference 2019.
Sony Santa Monica’s blockbuster action game took home the coveted Game of the Year trophy at the 19th Game Developers Choice Awards, a ceremony that’s part of the annual San Francisco event. God of War beat out Return of the Obra Dinn, Red Dead Redemption 2, Marvel’s Spider-Man, and Celeste (which was GamesBeat’s choice for game of the year).
While it was the only win of the night for God of War, it was the third major GOTY award overall for the game: It previously won the top prize at February’s DICE Awards and last year’s The Game Awards. But in general, indie games did extremely well against their triple-A competition, taking home a total of eight awards. Here’s a list of the rest of tonight’s winners:
- Best Debut: Florence (Mountains)
- Best VR/AR Game: Beat Saber (Beat Games)
- Best Mobile Game: Florence (Mountains)
- Best Narrrative: Return of the Obra Dinn (Lucas Pope)
- Pioneer Award: Rieko Kodama (lead producer and director at Sega)
- Best Audio: Celeste (Matt Makes Games and Power Up Audio)
- Best Technology: Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar Games)
- Best Visual Art: Gris (Nomada Studio)
- Best Design: Into the Breach (Subset Games)
- Lifetime Achievement Award: Amy Hennig (game designer and Uncharted creator)
- Innovation Award: Nintendo Labo (Nintendo)
- Audience Award: Beat Saber (Beat Games)
GamesBeat's creed when covering the game industry is "where passion meets business." What does this mean? We want to tell you how the news matters to you -- not just as a decision-maker at a game studio, but also as a fan of games. Whether you read our articles, listen to our podcasts, or watch our videos, GamesBeat will help you learn about the industry and enjoy engaging with it. Learn more about membership.