A new GamesBeat event is around the corner! Learn more about what comes next.
Nintendo is partnering with Amazon to provide some bonus extras to Twitch Prime members. If you have an Amazon Prime account connected to your Twitch, you can get up to 12 months of Nintendo Switch Online at no additional cost.
“We’ve teamed up with Nintendo to bring members up to a full year of great experiences on Nintendo Switch,”Twitch Prime vice president Ethan Evans said. “Twitch Prime members already get free PC games and in-game loot for blockbuster games, a Twitch channel subscription, and more every month, plus all the benefits of Amazon Prime.”
Nintendo Switch Online is the publisher’s newest online service. It is a requirement for playing games like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Splatoon 2 online. But it also gets you access to classic NES games and the battle royale puzzler Tetris 99.
The service is also already a relatively good deal. It’s only $20 per year or $3 per month. That is a third of the price of competing networks from Sony and Microsoft. Of course, PlayStation Network and Xbox Live have native implementation of voice chat, parties, and other features that Nintendo is sorely lacking.
Three top investment pros open up about what it takes to get your video game funded.
How to get Nintendo Switch Online through Twitch Prime
To get your 12 months of Nintendo Switch Online, you’ll have to jump over a few hurdles. You’ll also need some patience and an Amazon Prime membership that will last for at least the next 60 days.
- Go to twitchprime.com and make sure you have connected your Amazon Prime to your Twitch account.
- Go to Twitch.amazon.com/prime/loot/nintendo
- Click the “Claim Now” button on the box that says “Get 3 months of Nintendo Switch Online
- Connect your Twitch Prime and Nintendo accounts.
- “But hey, 3 months isn’t a year. What the heck!”
- I know. Just have some patience, jeez!
- 60 days after you click the first “Claim Now,” return to twitch.amazon.com/prime/loot/nintendo.
- Now, click on the second box that says “Get 9 more months of Nintendo Switch Online.”
This is obviously a marketing promotion designed to get Nintendo fans connected with Twitch and Amazon. And it’s also designed to create value for anyone whose Prime expires in the next two months.
It’s important to note that this offer stacks on top of your current membership if you already purchased Nintendo Switch Online — but only if you have an individual accounts.
This does not work with family accounts. But you already have close loved ones, so what do you need bonus promotions for? Unless … unless you are sharing with non-family friends, you scoundrel!
GamesBeatGamesBeat's creed when covering the game industry is "where passion meets business." What does this mean? We want to tell you how the news matters to you -- not just as a decision-maker at a game studio, but also as a fan of games. Whether you read our articles, listen to our podcasts, or watch our videos, GamesBeat will help you learn about the industry and enjoy engaging with it. How will you do that? Membership includes access to:
- Newsletters, such as DeanBeat
- The wonderful, educational, and fun speakers at our events
- Networking opportunities
- Special members-only interviews, chats, and "open office" events with GamesBeat staff
- Chatting with community members, GamesBeat staff, and other guests in our Discord
- And maybe even a fun prize or two
- Introductions to like-minded parties