Join GamesBeat Summit 2021 this April 28-29. Register for a free or VIP pass today.
Discord is counting on the power of nostalgia to lure in more people to its widely used chat platform. The company announced that 11 games from the Lucasfilm and Disney archives will be heading to its Nitro Games subscription service over the next few months.
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
- Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
- Star Wars: Republic Commando
- The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition
- Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Both Knights of the Old Republic games are now available for Nitro Games subscribers. The Discord app (for mobile and desktop) is free, and a huge reason why it’s been able to reach over 250 million users. Nitro Games is an optional upgrade for $10 a month that, in addition to a library of over 80 games, offers perks like a larger upload limit and custom Discord tags.
In addition to the Netflix-style subscription (which competes with the likes of Origin Access and Humble Monthly), Discord also operates its own digital store, which offers developers a 90/10 revenue sharing model, a rate that beats the 88/12 split that the Epic Games Store popularized.
GamesBeatGamesBeat's creed when covering the game industry is "where passion meets business." What does this mean? We want to tell you how the news matters to you -- not just as a decision-maker at a game studio, but also as a fan of games. Whether you read our articles, listen to our podcasts, or watch our videos, GamesBeat will help you learn about the industry and enjoy engaging with it. How will you do that? Membership includes access to:
- Newsletters, such as DeanBeat
- The wonderful, educational, and fun speakers at our events
- Networking opportunities
- Special members-only interviews, chats, and "open office" events with GamesBeat staff
- Chatting with community members, GamesBeat staff, and other guests in our Discord
- And maybe even a fun prize or two
- Introductions to like-minded parties