Join gaming leaders online at GamesBeat Summit Next this upcoming November 9-10. Learn more about what comes next.
A few years back, Amazon and Nintendo wouldn’t even work together. It was a lot of behind-the-scenes drama, but basically Amazon wanted a better deal on 3DS systems. The squabble resulted in Amazon refusing to sell the 3DS and then Nintendo refused to sell anything to Amazon. The two companies have since worked out their issues, and now Nintendo is dominating Amazon’s video game category, according to a Thinknum analysis.
In August, the publisher had six of the top 10 best-selling games on Amazon with Super Smash Bros. Ultimate coming in No. 1 overall for software. Other highlights for Nintendo include a launch game that continues to sell and a big September release that is already charting thanks to preorders.
Thinknum analyst Joshua Fruhlinger gathered this data. In his methodology, he averaged the daily sales rank of each product in the video game category across the month of August. Let’s take a look at the chart.
How Nintendo Switch is dominating on Amazon
Amazon’s top 10 best-selling games in August
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Nintendo Switch)
- Minecraft for PC/Mac (digital code)
- Madden NFL 20 (PlayStation 4)
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo Switch)
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo Switch)
- Super Mario Maker 2 (Nintendo Switch)
- Marvel’s Spider-Man (PlayStation 4)
- Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Nintendo Switch)
- The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening (Nintendo Switch)
- Madden NFL 20 (Xbox One)
Nintendo has a strong mix of recent releases and older games with staying power. Smash launched in December, but it’s hardly the publisher’s oldest game on the list. Breath of the Wild debuted in March 2017, and it’s still going strong.
Three top investment pros open up about what it takes to get your video game funded.
Zelda isn’t the only game with legs. Marvel’s Spider-Man first hit PlayStation 4 in September, and it also has maintained a lot of its early momentum. That is one of the reasons the game has surpassed 13 million copies sold.
Breath of the Wild also isn’t the only Zelda on the Amazon chart. Link’s Awakening, which is debuting September 20, was the No. 9 best-selling game in August.
Accessories and game cards continue to sell well for all platforms
Thinknum’s analysis doesn’t just track software. It looks at everything in the video game category, which includes accessories as well. You can see the full results on the Thinknum website. But just picking out highlights, each of the three major platforms have at least three accessories or game cards.
The top-selling product was the AmFilm Tempered Glass Screen Protector for the Nintendo Switch. Sony’s DualShock 4 Wireless Controller – Magma Red came in at No. 2.
GamesBeatGamesBeat's creed when covering the game industry is "where passion meets business." What does this mean? We want to tell you how the news matters to you -- not just as a decision-maker at a game studio, but also as a fan of games. Whether you read our articles, listen to our podcasts, or watch our videos, GamesBeat will help you learn about the industry and enjoy engaging with it. How will you do that? Membership includes access to:
- Newsletters, such as DeanBeat
- The wonderful, educational, and fun speakers at our events
- Networking opportunities
- Special members-only interviews, chats, and "open office" events with GamesBeat staff
- Chatting with community members, GamesBeat staff, and other guests in our Discord
- And maybe even a fun prize or two
- Introductions to like-minded parties