Did you miss GamesBeat Summit 2021? Watch on-demand here!
The titles came out for Switch on November 15. Nintendo notes that the latest Pokémon has become the Switch’s fast-selling game, beating Super Smash Bros. Ultimate’s first week performance of 5 million copies sold.
This is also much better that the first week for the Pokémon Let’s Go titles that came out last years, which were remakes of the first games in the franchise. Let’s Go Pikachu and Let’s Go Eevee sold a combined 3 million copies in its first week.
Sword and Shield are off to a strong start, even after complaints from some fans that the games are missing too many Pokémon and that the graphics aren’t up to snuff. We found the game fun and comforting.
The success of Sword and Shield should give Nintendo and Switch a big boost heading into the lucrative holiday season.
GamesBeatGamesBeat's creed when covering the game industry is "where passion meets business." What does this mean? We want to tell you how the news matters to you -- not just as a decision-maker at a game studio, but also as a fan of games. Whether you read our articles, listen to our podcasts, or watch our videos, GamesBeat will help you learn about the industry and enjoy engaging with it. How will you do that? Membership includes access to:
- Newsletters, such as DeanBeat
- The wonderful, educational, and fun speakers at our events
- Networking opportunities
- Special members-only interviews, chats, and "open office" events with GamesBeat staff
- Chatting with community members, GamesBeat staff, and other guests in our Discord
- And maybe even a fun prize or two
- Introductions to like-minded parties