This is a new record for Games Done Quick, which runs this marathon and Summer Games Done Quick every year. Both events don’t just raise awareness about retro games and speedrunning but benefit charities as well. The last record came from the previous event, Summer Games Done Quick 2019, which raised just over $3 million.
GDQ is celebrating its 10th anniversary this year. The first GDQ was a small, grassroots affair, raising just over $10,000. The event has grown tremendously since then, hosting numerous speedrunners who play through games new and old as fast as possible, all while an audience cheers them on and viewers contribute donations.
Congratulations to GDQ, all of the runners, and everyone who donated.
GamesBeatGamesBeat's creed when covering the game industry is "where passion meets business." What does this mean? We want to tell you how the news matters to you -- not just as a decision-maker at a game studio, but also as a fan of games. Whether you read our articles, listen to our podcasts, or watch our videos, GamesBeat will help you learn about the industry and enjoy engaging with it. How will you do that? Membership includes access to:
- Newsletters, such as DeanBeat
- The wonderful, educational, and fun speakers at our events
- Networking opportunities
- Special members-only interviews, chats, and "open office" events with GamesBeat staff
- Chatting with community members, GamesBeat staff, and other guests in our Discord
- And maybe even a fun prize or two
- Introductions to like-minded parties