The average for all app spending reached $100 in 2019. Games makes up the largest segment of that, representing 54%. The growth for game spending was about the same as it was from 2017 to 2018, which also saw a 22% increase. Growth has been steady for awhile, with average spending in 2015 sitting at $23 in 2015.
While gaming is healthy, the Photo & Video category (which includes things like YouTube and the photo editor PicsArt) actually eclipsed it in terms of growth. The average iPhone user in the U.S. spends less on these apps than games, about $6.30 each, in 2019. But this represents a massive 75% increase from 2018.
GamesBeatGamesBeat's creed when covering the game industry is "where passion meets business." What does this mean? We want to tell you how the news matters to you -- not just as a decision-maker at a game studio, but also as a fan of games. Whether you read our articles, listen to our podcasts, or watch our videos, GamesBeat will help you learn about the industry and enjoy engaging with it. How will you do that? Membership includes access to:
- Newsletters, such as DeanBeat
- The wonderful, educational, and fun speakers at our events
- Networking opportunities
- Special members-only interviews, chats, and "open office" events with GamesBeat staff
- Chatting with community members, GamesBeat staff, and other guests in our Discord
- And maybe even a fun prize or two
- Introductions to like-minded parties