Blizzard Entertainment announced today that Overwatch will be adding its latest hero, Echo, on April 14.
Overwatch has been a big hit, attracting over 50 million players since its launch in May 2016. Adding new heroes is one of the best way that Blizzard can keep fans active and returning to the team-based shooter.
Following the flight plan.
Echo swoops into Overwatch on April 14! pic.twitter.com/BWO8W6ivDO
— Overwatch (@PlayOverwatch) April 9, 2020
Echo will actually be the game’s first new character since the tank Sigma came out in July 2019. This is the longest gap between new heroes in the game’s history, as Blizzard is spending resources developing Overwatch 2.
Echo, who will become Overwatch’s 32nd hero, is a damage-based character who can fly in bursts. She can also copy enemy characters and use their ultimate abilities.
GamesBeatGamesBeat's creed when covering the game industry is "where passion meets business." What does this mean? We want to tell you how the news matters to you -- not just as a decision-maker at a game studio, but also as a fan of games. Whether you read our articles, listen to our podcasts, or watch our videos, GamesBeat will help you learn about the industry and enjoy engaging with it. How will you do that? Membership includes access to:
- Newsletters, such as DeanBeat
- The wonderful, educational, and fun speakers at our events
- Networking opportunities
- Special members-only interviews, chats, and "open office" events with GamesBeat staff
- Chatting with community members, GamesBeat staff, and other guests in our Discord
- And maybe even a fun prize or two
- Introductions to like-minded parties