All the sessions from Transform 2021 are available on-demand now. Watch now.
It’s easy to see the influence of those earlier VR games on the new exercise and fitness software from Within, but Supernatural is tuned in ways the others aren’t for both the wireless freedom of Oculus Quest and a home replacement for gym visits.
What sets Supernatural apart from, say, Beat Saber?
- Nice songs picked for workouts from popular musicians. Artists spotted in the launch lineup included Lizzo, Lady Gaga, One Republic, Kendrick Lamar, Ramones, Macklemore, and Panic! At The Disco, among others.
- Every workout is built for the 360 wireless freedom of Oculus Quest. You’ll be shown how to turn in place and hit targets with your bats coming along different tracks.
- A personal trainer’s voice is in your ears offering motivating words and guidance to finish workout of 20 minutes-to-30 minutes.
- Prettier environments that look like actual places rather than colorful voids.
- Mobile app and Apple Watch integration to better track activity.
- You need to duck your head inside triangles coming to your sides and that means being more active with lunges than just simply ducking or moving out of the way of a wall in Beat Saber.
The game is available now on Oculus Quest, with a free trial month ahead of its $19 per month subscription pricing. That pricing is surely hard for many Quest owners to wrap their brain around if you’re a fan of a game like Beat Saber — but the free trial should provide plenty of time to try out the workouts and see if it’s a nice fit. I should note Supernatural requires an active Internet connection to stream assets and an answer page on the website for the software recommends speeds above 20 Mbps.
Three top investment pros open up about what it takes to get your video game funded.
I haven’t spent enough time yet with Supernatural to give it a full review yet, but I did find the workouts both fun and challenging in a way that seemed more focused on keeping my body moving than, say, just providing a satisfying rhythmic sense of destruction. Of course, BoxVR and Beat Saber both released fitness updates in recent weeks, so we’re going to have to dive into all the updated fitness VR apps more deeply in the coming weeks to provide a better breakdown of the best way to work out in VR.
This story originally appeared on Uploadvr.com. Copyright 2020
GamesBeatGamesBeat's creed when covering the game industry is "where passion meets business." What does this mean? We want to tell you how the news matters to you -- not just as a decision-maker at a game studio, but also as a fan of games. Whether you read our articles, listen to our podcasts, or watch our videos, GamesBeat will help you learn about the industry and enjoy engaging with it. How will you do that? Membership includes access to:
- Newsletters, such as DeanBeat
- The wonderful, educational, and fun speakers at our events
- Networking opportunities
- Special members-only interviews, chats, and "open office" events with GamesBeat staff
- Chatting with community members, GamesBeat staff, and other guests in our Discord
- And maybe even a fun prize or two
- Introductions to like-minded parties