The preshow for today’s Xbox Games Showcase revealed Yuji Naka’s Balan Wonderworld, a 3D action-platformer that is coming to Xbox Series X and Xbox One during spring 2021.
Yuji Naka made his name at Sega, where he was the lead programmer for the original Sonic the Hedgehog. But he was also the producer for Nights Into Dreams for the Saturn, and Balan Underworld’s colorful world looks like it’s taking some inspiration from that game.
Naka left Sega to join Square Enix in 2018. Now we know what he has been up to. Balan Wonderland has a musical theater vibe, and you play through 12 different chapters.
Corrected 7/24 7:30 P.M. Pacific: We originally stated that you could play as 12 different characters, but it’s 12 different chapters. We apologize for the error.
You can also discover 80 different costumes. Each one gives you a special ability.
GamesBeatGamesBeat's creed when covering the game industry is "where passion meets business." What does this mean? We want to tell you how the news matters to you -- not just as a decision-maker at a game studio, but also as a fan of games. Whether you read our articles, listen to our podcasts, or watch our videos, GamesBeat will help you learn about the industry and enjoy engaging with it. How will you do that? Membership includes access to:
- Newsletters, such as DeanBeat
- The wonderful, educational, and fun speakers at our events
- Networking opportunities
- Special members-only interviews, chats, and "open office" events with GamesBeat staff
- Chatting with community members, GamesBeat staff, and other guests in our Discord
- And maybe even a fun prize or two
- Introductions to like-minded parties