The Sims 4 launched back in 2014, but it has had amazing legs. The life-simulation game has seen tremendous growth this year alone. Back in January, EA noted that The Sims 4 had over 20 million players. This means the game has reached 10 million new people this year.
That boost comes as quarantined gamers flock to The Sims. The game lets players create their own houses and then populate them with avatars representing themselves, friends, and families. These days, seeing yourself and your acquaintances gathered together for even a virtual party can be a comfort.
The Sims 4 also launched on Steam in June. Coming to the largest PC digital store gave the game a boost as well.
EA has kept The Sims relevant and profitable through expansions and other content bundles. The latest and ninth expansion, Eco Lifestyles, released on June 5.
GamesBeatGamesBeat's creed when covering the game industry is "where passion meets business." What does this mean? We want to tell you how the news matters to you -- not just as a decision-maker at a game studio, but also as a fan of games. Whether you read our articles, listen to our podcasts, or watch our videos, GamesBeat will help you learn about the industry and enjoy engaging with it. How will you do that? Membership includes access to:
- Newsletters, such as DeanBeat
- The wonderful, educational, and fun speakers at our events
- Networking opportunities
- Special members-only interviews, chats, and "open office" events with GamesBeat staff
- Chatting with community members, GamesBeat staff, and other guests in our Discord
- And maybe even a fun prize or two
- Introductions to like-minded parties