This is the MMO’s eighth expansion. It has players exploring the fantasy universe’s afterlife. World of Warcraft debuted in 2004 and became a massive hit for Blizzard. It may not be the sensation it once was, but its monthly subscription still makes it a lucrative title.
Shadowlands has players joining one of four new covenants, which can unlock new abilities and perks. It also introduces Torghast, a new endless dungeon that takes cues from roguelike.
— World of Warcraft (@Warcraft) August 27, 2020
Shadowlands follows the Battle for Azeroth expansion, which had a lukewarm expansion from some fans due to its weak story and failed gameplay ideas, including Island Expeditions, Warfronts, and azerite armor.
GamesBeatGamesBeat's creed when covering the game industry is "where passion meets business." What does this mean? We want to tell you how the news matters to you -- not just as a decision-maker at a game studio, but also as a fan of games. Whether you read our articles, listen to our podcasts, or watch our videos, GamesBeat will help you learn about the industry and enjoy engaging with it. How will you do that? Membership includes access to:
- Newsletters, such as DeanBeat
- The wonderful, educational, and fun speakers at our events
- Networking opportunities
- Special members-only interviews, chats, and "open office" events with GamesBeat staff
- Chatting with community members, GamesBeat staff, and other guests in our Discord
- And maybe even a fun prize or two
- Introductions to like-minded parties