Phoenix Labs added 50 employees during 2020, and it expects to have over 250 workers by the end of 2021. This staff will help support the new studios and work on new games.
Former Ubisoft employee André Roy will lead the team at the Montreal studio. Omar Kendall, previously of Riot Games, will be product director at the Los Angeles studio, while Phoenix Lab’s Jing Wang will serve as general manager. While these new studios are working on prototypes for new games, they will also assist in the continued development of Dauntless.
Dauntless launched in 2019 and is still going strong, with over 25 million registered players. The online action game offers a free-to-play spin on Monster Hunter-style combat. It is available on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC. Dauntless is launching its biggest expansion of the year, Reforged, on December 3.
GamesBeatGamesBeat's creed when covering the game industry is "where passion meets business." What does this mean? We want to tell you how the news matters to you -- not just as a decision-maker at a game studio, but also as a fan of games. Whether you read our articles, listen to our podcasts, or watch our videos, GamesBeat will help you learn about the industry and enjoy engaging with it. How will you do that? Membership includes access to:
- Newsletters, such as DeanBeat
- The wonderful, educational, and fun speakers at our events
- Networking opportunities
- Special members-only interviews, chats, and "open office" events with GamesBeat staff
- Chatting with community members, GamesBeat staff, and other guests in our Discord
- And maybe even a fun prize or two
- Introductions to like-minded parties