Join gaming leaders, alongside GamesBeat and Facebook Gaming, for their 2nd Annual GamesBeat & Facebook Gaming Summit | GamesBeat: Into the Metaverse 2 this upcoming January 25-27, 2022. Learn more about the event.
Nintendo’s revenues were down year-over-year, but that was almost exclusively due to a tough comparison to Animal Crossing: New Horizons’ historic launch in 2020. But the company’s foundation is the strength of its entire library. And to that end, the publisher has 14 games that have sold at least 1 million copies since April of 2021. That includes a handful of new releases alongside a list of perennial hits like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.
Here are the 14 games and the number of copies they’ve sold since April:
- The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD — 3.6 million
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe — 3.34 million
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons — 2.22 million
- New Pokémon Snap — 2.19 million
- Ring Fit Adventure — 2.1 million
- Mario Golf: Super Rush — 1.94 million
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate — 1.86 million
- Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury — 1.86 million
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild — 1.85 million
- Super Mario Party — 1.86 million
- Pokémon Sword/Shield — 1.54 million
- Miitopia — 1.37 million
- Super Mario Odyssey — 1.12 million
- New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe — 1.03 million
Miitopia, Mario Golf, New Pokémon Snap, and Skyward Sword HD are all new releases for Nintendo’s fiscal year. And while none of them are immediate blockbusters like Animal Crossing, they show that Nintendo is capable of churning out a steady cadence of solid financial hits.
Of course, what really sets Nintendo apart is the staying power of its software.
The 2nd Annual GamesBeat and Facebook Gaming Summit and GamesBeat: Into the Metaverse 2
January 25 – 27, 2022
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe launched in 2017, and it is outselling most new releases on any console or PC. Nintendo also now has three games in the 25-million club. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is nearing 40 million copies sold with 38.74 million. That makes it the best-selling Mario Kart ever as it passes Mario Kart Wii’s 37.38 million copies. Animal Crossing, meanwhile, is at 34.85 million and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is at 25.71 million. By the end of this year, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild — currently at 24.13 million — should also reach that quarter-million milestone.
GamesBeatGamesBeat's creed when covering the game industry is "where passion meets business." What does this mean? We want to tell you how the news matters to you -- not just as a decision-maker at a game studio, but also as a fan of games. Whether you read our articles, listen to our podcasts, or watch our videos, GamesBeat will help you learn about the industry and enjoy engaging with it. How will you do that? Membership includes access to:
- Newsletters, such as DeanBeat
- The wonderful, educational, and fun speakers at our events
- Networking opportunities
- Special members-only interviews, chats, and "open office" events with GamesBeat staff
- Chatting with community members, GamesBeat staff, and other guests in our Discord
- And maybe even a fun prize or two
- Introductions to like-minded parties