This post has not been edited by the GamesBeat staff. Opinions by GamesBeat community writers do not necessarily reflect those of the staff.
When we asked you for suggestions for our new Writing Tips column, many of you responded that you wanted to know about this Google AdSense “sponsored ad” business we implemented with Bitmob 2.0 (look to the bottom of this very article if you don’t know what I’m talking about). You specifically wanted some guidance on how to set it up and start making money from your posts.
This article is for you guys. The following information will eventually get its own dedicated link below the sponsored ad at the bottom of each post for easy reference, but in the meantime, bookmark this page and leave any further questions you may have about AdSense in the comments.
I can actually make money on Bitmob?
Absolutely. Google operates a nifty free service called AdSense, which allows content producers (i.e., you) to earn money using targeted ads. By linking your GoogleAdSense account to your Bitmob profile, any revenue coming from the AdSense ad at the bottom of each story you post will go directly to you. Score one for Internet capitalism!
If you have a Google AdSense account:
- Create an ad that fits Bitmob's template by going to google.com/adsense, clicking on My Ads, then "New Ad Unit."
- Name your ad “Bitmob,” choose 300×250 as the size, and select “Image/rich media ads only” as the type. Leave all other parameters as is.
- Click "Save and get code." Close the ad code window that pops up — you won’t need it.
- Now find the Slot ID for this ad. It’s the 10-digit number to the right of your newly created ad on the main My Ads page. You'll also need your AdSense ID, which follows "Publisher ID" in the top right corner of every page.
- Head over to bitmob.com/profile and click the "Edit" button next to "[Your Name] Sponsor." Input your AdSense ID and Slot ID numbers.
- Start posting stories on Bitmob! Information on when and how you’ll be paid by Google appears on your AdSense home page.
If you don't have a Google AdSense account:
What are you waiting for? Head over to google.com/adsense now and sign up. (Note: If you don't have a personal website, use "bitmob.com" for the Website URL field.) Then follow the instructions above.
Important: Don't abuse the system!
Once you've set up your account with AdSense and Bitmob, don't abuse the system. Don't use bots to net you extra clicks. Don't ask your friends to click for you. Don't clickity-click on your own ad until you've earned a princely sum. Google will sniff you out and ban you faster than you can say, "Hey, where'd my money go?"